This dessert is similar to what you’d get in individual ramekin lava cakes – but on a grander, more decadent level. The end result is so rich you’ll want to cut it with vanilla ice cream, freshly whipped cream, or both!
Oozing Hot Fudge Cake
Write a review
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1.5 cups hot water
- 2/3 cups cocoa powder, *divided!
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar, *divided!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Heat oven to 325 and spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Stir instant coffee into water to dissolve.
- In a bowl, combine 1/3 cup of the cocoa, brown sugar, and 1/3 cup of the sugar.
- In a small pot melt butter then whisk in remaining 1/3 cup cocoa, and 2 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Cool slightly.
- In a bowl, whisk remaining 2/3 cup sugar, vanilla, milk, and salt. Whisk in the butter/chocolate mixture. Add the flour and baking soda and whisk till combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the cocoa/brown sugar/sugar mixture evenly on top. Pour the coffee mixture gently over the cocoa mixture.
- Bake until cake is puffed and bubbling and beginning to pull away from sides of dish - about 45 minutes. Do *not* overbake!
- Cool about 25 minutes and serve with toppings of your choice, such as ice cream or freshly whipped cream.
- *Important! Be sure to note where ingredients should be divided.
The Excellent Wife http://theexcellentwife.com/