Beware! With over a pound of butter, salted caramel oatmeal bars are deadly to any diet.
These gems form a sugary, buttery crisp bottom that is topped with
oozy caramel and a layer of crumbly oatmeal goodness.
- 4.5 sticks of butter, melted
- 2 T vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups oats
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 11 oz bag of Kraft caramel bits
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a 9x13 pan with greased parchment or foil.
- In a large bowl combine butter, vanilla, sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda.
- Spread 1/2 the batter on the bottom of the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the caramel bits and heavy cream in the microwave in 30 minute increments until a creamy caramel sauce is made.
- Spread all of the caramel sauce on the cooked crust, then crumble the remaining batter on top of the caramel. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Bars must set before cutting or you'll have a gooey mess! (and remember that the caramel sauce will BURN you if you touch it too soon!). Setting can take up to 4 hours, or as little as one hour if you use the refrigerator.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.